Retirement Visa Thailand

A Thai retirement visa is really a one year extension of your existing Non-Immigrant "O" Visa. The retirement visa can be obtained only within Thailand at any of the participating immigration offices. Here is the list of required documents and process for obtaining the Thai Retirement visa.

Documents Required to Extend Visa for Senior Citizens Over 50.

If you are 50 years of age or over you are eligible for this Thai retirement visa extension. Here is a list of the documents you will need to present to the Immigration Office.

  1. Application form TM7 duly completed plus the 1,900 baht fee in hand.
  2. One 4 X 6 cm photograph.
  3. Your passport and copy of:
    1. ID page. The page that has your photo on it.
    2. Current non-immigrant visa.
    If you don't have a current non-immigrant visa, you can convert your tourist visa at the immigration bureau using a special form. The cost for the conversion will be 2,000 baht.
  4. This item 4 explains three alternative ways,"a" or "b" or "c" of presenting your financial status.

    (a) Showing 800,000 Baht in Your Thai Bank

    You must present the following to immigration.

    • A letter, not more than one week old, from a Thai bank, certifying your account has a balance of at least 800,000 baht together with;
    • A photocopy of your bank book showing the name page and transactions for the past three months.


    In the first year of the retirement visa, the 800,000 baht must have been in your Thai bank account for at last two months prior to application but, in subsequent years, the requirement is at least three months prior.


    (b) Income from your country

    A letter from your embassy showing pension or other income in your home country of at least 65,000 baht per month.


    (c) Combined Income & Funds in Thai Bank

    A combination of (a) and (b) above. That is monthly income of less than 65,000 baht with a complementary cash sum in the Thai bank. The total from both sources combined must be at least 800,000 baht. You will need a letter from both your bank and your embassy. Fund book not allowed.

    The letter from your embassy, usually a statutory declaration, confirms your income from your country and the letter from your Thai bank confirms your Thai bank account balance.

  6. A document showing your local Thai address. This document could be any of the following:
    • An official rent book.
    • A letter headed receipt of rent paid.
    • Company papers.
    • Proof of ownership of a condominium or residence in Thailand.

    The immigration officer will keep a photocopy of the document.

  7. In the case of a married couple applying for retirement visas, a certified copy of the marriage certificate in English or Thai must be presented as part of the paperwork.
  8. Tips for Living with a Thai girlfriend
  9. If a joint bank account is shown as part of the application process, a certified copy of the marriage certificate in English or Thai is required.
  10. The application fee for a retirement visa is 1,900 baht. If needed, conversion from tourist visa to non immigration status is an extra 2,000 baht.

After your first retirement period of usually just over one year you will need to renew your visa by visiting the nearest participating immigration office. The documents required will be as listed above but this time if you are showing funds in a Thai bank account then the minimium period for the funds to have been in the account is three months.

Dress Tidy

Thailand has beautiful warm weather and sometimes it gets quite hot. Foreigners who visit Pattaya enjoy to dress according to the climate and in many cases wear singlets, shorts thongs and other beach wear.

When ever you visit the Immigration office it would be prudent to dress respectfully. Thai officials appreciate foreigners who have made an effort to follow dress requirements. If you visit the office wearing a singlet you might be asked to go home and put on a proper shirt. Please respect Thai Culture when visiting government offices and dress tidy.


If you wish to leave Thailand while holding a retirement visa you will need to apply for a "Re-Entry Permit". This is a simple process and usually can be completed within one hour or less at the Pattaya Immigration office. You will need to fill in a TM.8 application form. Read More.

The Pattaya Immigration Office is located in Soi 5 Jomtien Beach.

Office Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Monday to Friday. Closed on Thai Public Holidays.

Related Links:

Pattaya Bar Girls

Thai Language

Learn Thai easy

Thai Girlfriend

Thai girlfriend ebook download


Discounted hotels Thailand

Thai Girls Online

View photos and portfolios of Thai Ladies waiting to meet you.

Thai Love Links

Thai Love Lines

© 2008